APPLICATIONS FOR 2019 ARE OPEN.
We facilitate share house style accommodation for Christian young adults in two houses in Hawthorn within an easy walking distance from our church building (in partnership with West Hawthorn Uniting Church). We aim to provide good quality, supportive, community-focused and reasonably priced young adult and student accommodation. As the houses are co-tenancies, the residents are directly involved in resident selection, supported by the Youth & Young Adults Pastor, and the Ministry Coordinator. It is a legal requirement that applicants are able to meet with the existing residents prior to receiving a room offer.
- Our residents are committed Christian young adults — students or young workers — aged 18-25. We will prioritise young people moving out of home for the first time but you are welcome to apply if you are over 25 or have lived out-of-home before.
- We aim to provide an appropriate level of spiritual and personal support — i.e. we won’t mother you, but we will be there if you need us.
- We expect residents to take full adult responsibility for their lives, and to live a Jesus-focused lifestyle (which includes treating each other with Christ-like respect — and paying your share of the rent on time! 🙂
- There are legal terms and conditions, and reasonable expectations of living in these houses (developed with the current residents) provided below. Please make sure you are aware of them and willing to abide by them before applying. (Note the expectations may be adjusted by agreement with all residents from year to year).
- Applicants must commit to being involved with HWBC.*
- The houses available are either mixed-gender or all-female.
- No meals are provided, food is your own responsibility.
- No furnishings are provided, but there’s an Ikea not far away and lots of op shops!
- The houses are in a quiet residential area, convenient to the CBD, and many Melbourne universities, and are well served by public transport, shopping centres etc.
- Applicants commit to a lease of a minimum 1 year period, with a recommended maximum stay of 3 years. Shorter leases may be available by application.
- Please contact us if you have any questions about the suitability of the community or facilities for your needs.
(Room offers for the new year will normally be made from mid-December to mid-January. An early application is appreciated but does not guarantee you a room, as we place new residents based on a number of criteria. At times a room may become available earlier in the year so you are welcome to inquire at any time.)
* We understand that HWBC may not be the right church for everyone, and you might decide to join another church after moving in. However, we require that you keep us informed if you do so.
We appreciate that moving out of home for the first time and starting a new phase of life is a time when young adults often struggle with doubts, lifestyle decisions, workload and other issues. We believe the best context for this is in a loving church community, even if you are full of doubts!
We are seeking residents who love Jesus and want to serve him in their lives, and engage in the community of their household & church.
PLEASE NOTE: If you cannot live under the terms and conditions or resident expectations of character and behaviour outlined above, please do not apply! We think the expectations are pretty reasonable, but they won’t suit some people, and that’s ok.
Contact us if you have any questions.
The 3 PDF documents below will answer most of your questions. When applying, please send in the application form. If you are accepted, you’ll be expected to sign off on the T&C and Resident Expectations alongside your lease.
Detailed Housing Information
More information about the houses, FAQs etc
Housing Resident Terms and Conditions Agreement
Please read before applying, it will be signed when you move in
Housing Resident Expectations Agreement Form
Please read before applying, it will be reviewed by each household and signed together early in the year
When you have read them all, you may apply here: