Young Adult Student Accommodation Share Houses
Hawthorn West Baptist Church (HWBC) facilitates share house accommodation in Hawthorn for young adults wanting to live in intentional Christian community. This is in partnership with West Hawthorn Uniting Church, the owner/Landlord of the two houses.
The houses provide supportive, community-focused and reasonably priced young adult and student accommodation.
As the houses are co-tenancies, the renters are involved in the selection process, supported by HWBC’s Pastor and the Share House Administrator (HWBC). It is a legal requirement that applicants are able to meet with the existing renters prior to receiving an invitation to join a household.
- The renters are generally aged 18-25 years old. The houses are particularly suitable for young people moving out of home for the first time but applications are welcome from those who are over 25 years old or have lived out of home before.
- All share house renters sign a co-tenancy lease (Residential Tenancy Agreement) with the Landlord, West Hawthorn Uniting Church.
- Renters are expected to take full adult responsibility for their lives.
- A link to the Tenant Terms and Conditions Agreement applicable to living in the share houses is provided below. Please make sure you are prepared to abide by this agreement before applying.
- Renters are warmly invited and encouraged to be part of the Hawthorn West Baptist Church community or to engage with another church.
- The houses available are currently all-female or all-male.
- No meals are provided, food is your own responsibility.
- No furniture is provided.
- The houses are in a quiet residential area, convenient to the CBD, and many Melbourne universities, and are well served by public transport, shopping centres etc.
- Please contact our Share House Administrator if you have any questions about the suitability of the community or facilities for your needs.
Offers for the new year will normally be made from mid-December to mid-January. An early application is appreciated but does not guarantee you a place.
A place may become available during the year so if you are looking for accommodation mid-year, please enquire.
Contact our Share House Administrator if you have any questions.
How to Apply
The two documents below will answer most of your questions. When applying, please send in the Young Adult Housing Application Form (see link below). If you are accepted, you’ll be expected to sign the Tenants Terms and Conditions Agreement along with the lease.
Detailed Housing Information (Google Doc)
More information about the houses, FAQs etc.
Tenant Terms and Conditions Agreement (Google Doc)
Please read before applying! You’ll be expected to sign this document along with the lease.
When you have read both documents above, you may apply here:
Young Adult Housing Online Application