Whether you’ve never been to church before or are simply looking for a new church family, we hope that you’ll experience something of God’s love at a Sunday Gathering or Service at HWBC. (You might call it a Sunday Service, Church Service or Worship Service, but we think that sounds way too formal!)
Our building is at the corner of Hill & Barton Streets, Hawthorn.
What’s a Sunday Gathering Like?
Things can change a bit each week, but the stuff we do together usually involves singing songs to Jesus, learning about Him, reading the Bible and talking about it, praying, taking time to share stuff that’s going on in our lives, and eating together!
Around 80 people show up each Sunday. A lot of us are in our 20s and 30s, but there are people from all walks and stages of life. God’s family is diverse; there’s plenty of welcome for everybody!
The music varies from pretty loud to reflective, with a variety of instruments and styles. The teaching times and gatherings as a whole are led by a range of different people. Women and men, older and younger, are involved in leading the various parts of our gathered times, reflecting who we are as a church together.
You can be involved as much or as little as you like: you can be fully into it, you can wander out the back and grab a coffee, chat with someone about life and faith, keep the kids entertained…we don’t really mind!
If you have children, they are absolutely welcome. For younger children, there are activities organised during the times when they might struggle to pay attention – and there’s also plenty of room with couches at the back, with toys, books and even an outdoor play ground and sandpit too!
We often eat together after the service, on the 1st Sunday of the month soup and bread is provided, on the 3rd Sunday everyone brings food to share (don’t worry if you didn’t bring any!) People often go out for lunch together on other Sundays too in smaller groups.
Some Practical Tips for Sundays
- Sunday gatherings start around 10.30 (although people are often late, don’t panic if there’s no one there but you and the band!). We aim to finish by 12pm most weeks. However just because we finish the organised part of the day then, don’t disappear! Stick around and chat, everyone’s pretty friendly…
- Nobody minds how you dress, but we are pretty casual; you’ll see plenty of bare feet in summer.
- On the 3rd Sunday of the month, it’s “family smorgasbord” – everybody brings a dish to share and we eat together around tables. If you are a visitor, please be our guest and come along and enjoy the food, don’t feel to you need to have brought anything.
- Parking can be hard to find so we suggest using feet/bicycles/public transport. There are the 75, 109, and 48 trams nearby, and Hawthorn train station is a 5 min walk away. We are about 6km from the CBD. If you need to drive, try parking at the big park on the corner of Burwood Road and Barton Sts.
- Kids are always welcome, some weeks we have some organised separate activities (this is being developed), others they stay in with everybody.
- There’s no offering or collection taken up, and there’s nothing for sale (we take note of Jesus’ opinion of that) so if you are visiting you can leave your money in your pocket.
- Singing is a big part of what we do together, and the musical styles vary from pretty loud to just fun and occasionally powerful…if you’re not into singing that’s fine, just come along and listen and enjoy. You *will* be encouraged to join in though.